Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm here to eat, like anybody else

As a waitress, there are many a thing that piss me off (slow cooks, overbearing bosses, conservative tippers, CHILDREN, and sleep deprivation, just to name a few.) But believe it or not, as a customer, I am not very sensitive. I have gone out to eat with other servers and been embarrassed, not only because of the way they treated our server, but because of the way they tipped. There are only a few things that irk me and I typically won't even comment on these things to the server or let it affect their tip, (I will just go home and blog about them.)
One thing that really bothers me is when I go out to eat, and my server knows that I am server, and he/she the takes this as the cue to unleash the night's problems on me. I know that serving sucks. I am a server, so why would you want to bitch about things that happen at a serving job the one night I am not serving? If I cared at all about the ten top that you didn't get, or the guy that left you $6 on an $80 ticket, I'd be at work and experience those things myself. I am out to eat to enjoy a quiet evening with my friends or my dude, not to hear about the fact that you requested not to work doubles anymore, yet you're still scheduled for doubles for the next two weeks.
Regardless of your profession, you should find joy in dining out and as a server, regardless of the profession of your customer, you should not bombard them with your problems. I guess it is a good tactic if you are trying to stress your fellow server out and get him/her to have a couple extra beers during the meal, but for the most part, it is pretty insensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment